I have long been a fan of simple recipes – who has time to go around gathering so many ingredients to make things happen in the kitchen? And after that, the washing up – don’t get me started. I’ve actually chosen not to cook so that I can avoid the washing up…but greed, as it happens, finds a way. This recipe is form my friends at Mekhala. They produce authentic, organic home-based stir-through sauces which are just fabulous. And, not a fan of squash? Try pumpkin!
The key here is the lemongrass turmeric combination. Not only is it flavourful, its also very good for you. Lemongrass controls cholesterol levels and heals the flu bug, while turmeric is an excellent anti-oxidant. Enjoy cooking this soup!
Creamy Lemongrass Turmeric & Coconut Butternut Squash Soup
- 1/2 a medium butternut squash (about 500g), peeled, seeded and chopped
- 100ml Low-fat coconut milk, plus extra for serving
- 500ml Water or vegetable stock
- 1/2 Tbsp rice bran oil
- 2 Tbsp Mekhala All-Natural Lemongrass Turmeric Paste
- Himalayan Pink Salt
- 1. Add oil to a large pot over medium heat. Add Mekhala All-Natural Lemongrass Turmeric Paste and gently saute until fragrant.
- 2. Add squash and a pinch of Himalayan Pink Salt. Cook, stirring, for 2-5 minutes, until squash begins to brown.
- 3. Add coconut milk and water/stock, stir well to combine and bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender (20-30min).
- 4. Puree soup with a stick blender or a regular blender until smooth. If you wish to have a smoother soup, strain it with a fine-mesh sieve. Season to taste.
- 5. Serve soup with an extra dash coconut milk on top.
Copyright Cravings! Magazine on thecraversguide.com.