Recipe Courtesy of Anna Olson
Shrimp and Coconut Risotto
- 30ml vegetable oil
- 80g diced cooking onion
- 225g Arborio rice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 6g finely grated fresh ginger
- 625ml shrimp or chicken stock
- 250ml coconut milk
- 180g diced red bell pepper (about 1 medium pepper)
- 400g fully peeled shrimp
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 45g chopped fresh coriander
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 100g fresh spinach leaves
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish
- Sambal or Pickled Jalapeno Peppers, for garnish
- Heat a medium sized heavy-bottom saucepan over medium heat with the oil. Add the onion and sauté, stirring often, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and stir this for 2 minutes, to coat the rice. Stir in the garlic and ginger and then add 250 mL (1 cup) of the stock, reducing the heat to medium-low and stirring with a wooden spoon until most of the liquid has been absorbed. Add another 250 mL (1 cup) of stock and stir regularly (you don’t have to stir constantly now) until this is almost absorbed. Add the coconut milk and cook this in stirring regularly.
- After the coconut milk is half absorbed, check the rice for tenderness (it will still be a little crunchy, but starting to soften). Add the red pepper and shrimp and cook until the coconut milk is absorbed, but the mixture is still creamy. If the rice is still not cooked through, add the remaining 125 mL (1/2 cup) of stock and cook in while stirring. Season to taste and stir in the green onions and coriander. When ready to serve, stir in the spinach leaves, to wilt them slightly.
- To serve, spoon the risotto into bowls and top with the peanuts, Sambal and/or Pickled Jalapeno Peppers.
Copyright Cravings! Magazine on thecraversguide.com.
Inspired with Anna Olson
Premieres Friday, 29 July @ 9pm
Asian Food Channel (Starhub Ch 435)